world of architecture is multi-faceted. It combines the world of
engineering with the world of fine art as the architect strives
not only to fulfill the functional needs of the client but also
ensure that the structures fit into the environment in a positive
will be using online information to learn about several buildings
and some of the leading architects in the world.
studying the buildings, you will do so with an eye toward both
the "form" and the "function" of the
As you look at the architects pay attention to
where they received their training, what other architects or
architectural movements influenced their work, what their design
philosophy is, and what buildings they are especially known for.
You will be creating a report on one architect with a focus on one
of their buildings. Your report will be written online using our online editor which will turn it into a web page for you.
Use the following sites for this assignment:
article on architects
list for famous architects
The American Institute of
Setting Up Your Folder
In the My Documents folder on your desktop, create a folder with your name on it. You will be saving images here that you will be inserting into your online document.
Starting the Online Editor
Next, you will create your online document. You can use this document for taking notes and, eventually, it will become your final report.
Open the online editor by clicking on the link below and it will open in a new browser tab. This page will remain open in its own tab. You can switch between this instruction page and the Online Editor page by clicking on the tabs.
Open the Online Editor page
The first time that you use the Online Editor you must create your document name. Follow the instructions on the Online Editor page to set up your document. Once the editor is open you can start typing in the information you collect.
Using the Online Editor
Use the editor like a word processor. Most of its features are enabled except spell checking, which you will have to do on your own.
Downloading, Uploading, and Inserting Images
In order to insert an image in your online report, it must first be downloaded from the website on which you have found it, and then uploaded to the Online Editor server. Follow these steps:
Saving an Image
- Find an image you wish to use
- Right click on the image you wish to save
- Select "Save Image As..." from the pop-up menu
- Navigate to your folder in My Documents
- Save the picture in that folder
Uploading an Image
- Go to the Online Editor and select "Insert/Edit Image" icon
- In the Image Properties dialog box that opens, select the Browse Server button
- In the top of the next dialog box, click on the Drafting folder to open it
- You will see a list of existing files on the server
- Select the Browse button at the bottom of the page
- Navigate to your folder in My Documents
- Select the file you wish to upload and click on Open
- Click on the Upload button and the file with upload
- If a file with that name already exists, your file will be renamed. Note that new name.
- Select the X in the upper right corner to close the dialog box
Insert an Image
- If the Image Properties dialog box is not already open, select "Insert/Edit Image" icon
- In the Image Properties dialog box, select Browse Server
- In the top of the dialog box, click on the Drafting folder to open it
- Select the image you want by clicking on it
- You will see a preview of the image in the Image Properties dialog box
- Set the height and/or the width as well as the other properties of the image
- Click on OK to insert the image
- If the image is not where you wish it to be, click and drag it
Visit the Great
Buildings Collection site above. Explore what you find on
architects and buildings, keeping in mind the requirements listed
in "The Task" section above.
Next, look at the
Wikipedia sites to help you select an architect. Once you have
selected an architect, sign up for that architect on the sign-up
sheet in the classroom. Do not sign-up for an architect who has
already been selected.
If you have time,
you can use the Great Buildings Collection site to view 3D
walkthroughs of many buildings. To view the walkthroughs you
need to have DesignWorkShop installed on your computer, which
it already is. You will find it by clicking on Start->Programs
and looking through your computer's list of installed
applications. Open it up and you can use it to view
walkthroughs that you can download.
Spatial Model on the site. Select the "Platform Neutral
Download" by clicking on it.
browser prompts you for what to do with the file, select to
dialog box while appear and show you the downloading status.
When it's done, close that window.
The file should now be on your computer's
desktop. You can open it with DesignWorkShop.
You will be evaluated
on the completeness of your presentation. Be sure to include the
information required as shown in "The Task" section
As a result of
participating in this assignment you should have a better
understanding that the world of architecture, the relationship of
form to function, and be familiar with the background of at least
one known architect.